Sunday 15 January 2017

Part 2 - Worcester (Week 11 & Week 12 : Independent Drawing Assignments)

Banbury
Transcendent, Erotic, Muffled, Frightening, Fevered, Passive. 


For this task I created six drawings/paintings based on Douglas Huebler's, Location Piece (July 1969). I looked at what his location piece project was about and tried to emulate it in a way that made it my own.

I wanted to choose places that evoked the feelings listed - erotic, frightened, transcendent, passive, fevered and muffled - as well as use a medium that represented that feeling to bring it out more in the painting. What I found was that sometimes, the effect came across differently. For instance I have swapped 'muffled' and 'fevered' because after completion I saw that the colours on (2) were too vibrant to be muffled. It turned out to be a happy accident as I think both suit their label well.

The feeling I found most difficult to home was 'erotic'. I really tried to think about what was erotic about Banbury and I couldn't think of anything. So I decided to interpret the word in a different way and paint my favourite restaurant in the area, (5). The food there is delicious, and thus - bordering on erotic. The red berries are also symbolic as the colours are reminiscent of similar themes.

Although I found this task challenging I really enjoyed it. For the first time I used gouache, on (1), and I loved the medium. I also had fun trying to recreate reflection as over the two days I collected photographs to recreate, it was raining and made the paths wet. 

The hardest challenge for me was getting the image right. I got confused over windows, removed distant buildings accidentally, and generally found it difficult to get all the detail in depending on the medium. For instance, for (3) I loved the boat but when I drew in the background I saw I'd made flaws in my original sketch. I did not want to redo it so used some artistic license to try and make i work. In future I will make a more detailed sketch and double check it. 

(1)
Passive
1 hour 40 mins
(HB Pencil, Gouache)

(2)
Fevered
1 hour
(HB Pencil, Oil Pastels)

(3)
Transcendent 
2 hours
(HB Pencil, Watercolour Paints, Watercolour Pencils)

(4)
Frightening
1 hour 40 mins
(HB Pencil, Charcoal)

(5)
Erotic
1 hour 20 mins
(HB Pencil, Acrylic Paint)

(6)
Muffled
1 hour 14 mins
(HB Pencil, Watercolour Pencils)


No comments:

Post a Comment