Friday 6 January 2017

Part 1A - Banbury/ Brackley (Week 11 & Week 12 : Independent Drawing Assignments)

06/01/17

I spent the day in Banbury (one drawing completed in Brackley on my way back) completing the first half of Drawing Reporter Part One. I chose to do this in two parts because I wanted to compare my hometown against Worcester - small-town against city-scape. 

I explored parts of it that I saw as specific to a small-town and that I saw as archetypal to Banbury. I started with the canal, (1), and really enjoyed using chalk as a medium. I haven't used it in a long time and it took me a moment to get the hang of it. After fifteen minutes it started to rain and as I had no shelter I had to leave the piece as it was. I feel like this drawing did not reach it's potential, though I am proud of it and received a compliment from a passer-by.

Next, I drew the bus station (2). I don't like this drawing, I can't pinpoint why but I think maybe I should have used different mediums e.g. oil pastel for the background. That may have made the piece more interesting.

I did (3) on a small piece of black paper I ripped and stuck in my book. I drew the closed down pasty shop with watercolour but it didn't come off well on the paper, so I added acrylic and it worked more. Although the image lacks detail, I like it and feel like the message of the drawing comes across; broken.

(4) went terribly. I bought a Tipex pen to experiment and thought it would be like painting acrylic with a pen. Unfortunately, I found it terribly difficult to use and so only did a five-minute drawing. I don't regret it because it's always good to experiment. 

I'm fond of (5), it looks delicate and pretty which is how I see the gazebo in town. 

I am not a fan of (6). I don't enjoy using oil pastels but in wanting to use a range of mediums I chose to bring them with me. It's not awful but it's not very clear. In hindsight I would have used oil pastels on a bigger piece, not a smaller one - then it would have been more detailed.

I drew (7) near my house when I walked home from the bus. The lights were bright against the dark sky and so I thought it would look great. I should not have stuck the black paper at an angle though because however nice, compositionally, it looks; it made perspective and angles confusing. This is not something I foresaw and so will learn from this in future e.g. doing the drawing then mounting it at an angle. 

(8) was drawn from the viewpoint I had at the back of the bus. Luckily there weren't any people, except for at the front of the bus, so I had a clear view to draw the architecture of the transport many people use to get from place to place where I live. I like it but I wish I'd spent longer on it, however, I did not start the drawing until well into my journey and I needed to prepare to get off the bus. 

(9) is my favourite drawing. It is the potato van outside my place of work. I enjoyed this as I incorporated the tree and I love drawing nature. I've done something with the angle that I didn't see until looking at the piece later, this is a lesson in really looking at what I'm drawing and also to possibly get an easel/ choosing my viewpoint better.

(10) is my second favourite. By using the felt tip and the byro I created depth. I also like the way I've mounted it (done previous to drawing). The combination of nature and architecture is pleasing, so is the perspective.

Overall I enjoyed this exercise, though not as much as I enjoyed e.g. the cafe drawings exercise where we drew people moving. I thought that the lack of people in my drawings would take away from them, but actually, they don't always need that. I enjoyed experimenting with only two colours (black and white) and using white on black paper. I need to work on really looking at what I'm drawing and assesing angles and viewpoints more, but apart from that I'm pleased with what I produced.,


(1)
The Canal, Banbury. 15 min. White Chalk on Black Card.

(2)
The Bus Station. Banbury. 20 min.White Watercolour Pencil. 

(3)
The Cornish Pasty & Tea Shop (Closed Down), Banbury.7 min. Watercolour/ Acrylic Paint.

(4)
Bench and Wall in Castle Quay Shopping Centre, Banbury. 5 min. Tipex Pen.

(5)
Town Centre Gazebo, Banbury. 5 min. Black/White Coloured Pencil.

(6)
Street by The Fleur Pub, Banbury. 10 min. Black/White Oil Pastel.

(7)
Street Lights, Brackley. 7 min. White Watercolour Pencil & Chalk.

(8)
500 Bus From Banbury to Brackley, Commute. 10 min. Black Byro.

(9)
Curly's Potato Van, Banbury. 20 min. Black Watercolour Pencil.

(10)
David's Flowers, Banbury. 10 min. Black Felt Tip Pen & Black Byro.

No comments:

Post a Comment