Wednesday 2 November 2016

Week 5 Homework: Subtractive Tone Self Portrait

02.11.16

Out of all the exercises we've done, I found this the least enjoyable. I heavily dislike working with charcoal, essentially because I'm a very clean person (strange for an illustrator, I know) and I don't like having any residue on me after a drawing/painting. I had to do a lot of prep and a lot of clean up for every painting and so it took double the amount of time I had planned. Although this was a hindrance, I'm still pleased with some of my pieces. (All done using charcoal, tissue and assorted erasers) 

As I do not own a full length mirror, I went home to my parents house to use one to create the first two images. (1) is very simple and I like it. (2) though not in proportion, seems exaggerated (I've made my legs bigger than they are) in a way that looks artistic and I like it.

(3) was also done at home with a lamp placed to my bottom right. I am pleased with how this piece turned out as I think you can definitely see where the light is coming from.

(4) was done in my bedroom at university accommodation with a lamp directed at my face. I did not think this through as it made it really difficult to see my drawing. As a consequence it is my least favourite.

(5) i believe, is my most successful piece. I directed my lamp towards my sketchpad on my lap so that I could see my page and the light would come from below my face. Because I had good vision I could create a better image. 

One thing I forgot to do was to try different emotions. On (5) I am smiling slightly but that is by chance, I got so into my drawings that I forgot about that aspect. This is a lesson learned to keep the brief in front of me as I do every task. I feel I learned from this challenge, but am still not a fan of charcoal, despite it's effects being good.

 (1) 15 min
 (2) 25 min
 (3) 35 min
 (4) 32 min
(5) 29 min

No comments:

Post a Comment