Monday 31 October 2016

Week 6: Bristol Zoo Trip

31.10.2016

Today a group of us visited Bristol zoo to do some life drawing of the animals and their environments.

I had an amazing time drawing the animals, environments, and people in the zoo. As you can see from my sketches it took me time to get a technique where I could draw them properly but after practice, it became easier. 

I found the whole experience very valuable. I don't often draw animals and so I was nervous about how my sketches would turn out, but I'm really pleased with them. It was also nice to work outside and I received a few compliments while sketching (which gave me some confidence!) I would definitely repeat the exercise again in my own time.

 (1)
Quick byro pen sketches of drills and flamingos.
 (2)
Quick fine liner sketches of a little egret and some lions. I was really pleased with the face of the middle lion.
 (3)
Fine liner sketch of a yellow mongoose, Golden Manella frogs, and turkish spiney mice.
 (4)
Fine liner sketch of lemur leaf frog (in tadpole form), a child playing with a turtle shell, and a giant turtle. I was very happy with the giant turtle sketch.
 (5)
Fine liner sketch of kids playing on turtle shell again, fine liner of the 'bear pit pole' that is not in use anymore, but was once used for bears to climb in the mid 1800's, and lastly a sketch in fine liner and grey marker of a madascan hissing cockroach. I was pleased with the sketch of the cockroach as I managed to indicate his/her shiny shell.
 (6)
Here I have a fine liner sketch of a giant brazilian cockroach in fine liner, a starfish in grey marker and fine liner, and a sketch I started but did not finish.
 (7)
Here is the beginnings of a pencil sketch of a ring tailed lemur. I got the outline ready but then he/she jumped away.
 (8)
These pencil sketches were done in the gorilla enclosure. I have added a few sketches of them, of he rope, and of 'Jock' who is pictured bottom right. I was lucky to get a full view of his face and he stayed quite still! 
 (9)
Here I have drawn pencil sketches of two yellow footed rock wallabes. Their enclosure was quite surreal; a chest of drawers and other furniture. they were all a bit sleepy so perfect for drawing!

 (10)
Here I have done a pencil sketch of a golden headed lion tamarin (above) and some meerkats (below). Both animals were hard to draw as they moved constantly.
 (11)
I completed his drawing in the butterfly house and as the creature was so still I took my time on this drawing. I'm really pleased with how it turned out.
 (12)
This was a watercolour painting I did while sat for lunch in the 'Coral Cafe' on site at the zoo. I would have liked to use my paints to draw more animals but there wasn't much seating. I really like this piece because the trees are so pretty and the autumn weather comes across.
 (13)
This was a pencil and coloured pencil sketch of some penguins.
 (14)
This was a fine liner sketch of an apple under a bench in the cafe.
 (15)
I was particularly happy with this drawing. It is a pencil sketch of the penguin enclosure. It gives you the essence of what is there in a speedy yet tonal drawing.
 (16)
Here I was lucky enough to see a child try to pet a penguin! he sat there for a while so I was able to get a fairly detailed quick sketch. Below is a quick pencil sketch of a seal in motion as he/she moved as I was drawing. I like the effect of having he/she in movement.
 (17)
This seal was sleepy and so was fairly still for me. I spent a long time on this sketch and am really happy with it. I used a range of pencils (2B-6B) and a rubber.
 (18)
This is a byro pen sketch of the viewing area beneath the penguin enclosure. I have drawn the people looking at the penguins. I like this piece as it is quite fluid and has an atmosphere to it.
 (19)
Here I have done a pencil sketch of a Pygmy Hippo and her baby in the water.
 (20)
Here I have begun, and stopped, a sketch of a gorilla. She moved to another position and stayed still so I decided to start again on a new page and do a more detailed drawing.
 (21)
I used a range of pencils (2B-6B) to draw the mum and baby gorilla. I love this piece as it captures the content look on the mother gorilla's face. (We asked the zoo keeper and although this gorilla is not the baby's biological mother, she was given to her as her real mother was ill during and after pregnancy) I think it tells a story and is one of my favourite pieces.
 (22)
These were quick byro pen sketches I drew in the armidillo enclosure (for above) of the back of an armidillo, and a dead mouse. Below was the start of a Capybara but it ran away so I only got a brief outline!
 (23)
This is a fine liner sketch of a tapir. I'm not massively pleased with this one and I think I could have added more detail.
(24)
This was my last sketch. I used a range of pencils (2B - 6B) and assorted erasers. I drew this while I was sat in the cafe at the end of the day after exploring the zoo. I really like this piece as it captures a moment in moving lives. When I was drawing I would add people as they came along. This is also one of my favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment