Monday 6 February 2017

Semester 2. Week 2. Class. Face and Hands.

Today we focused on close ups of the life models face and hands. I felt like this was a valuable exercise in using what we've learned about proportion and tone on a smaller scale. It also confronted my fear of drawing hands, which I admittedly leave out often in full figure drawings.

One aspect of today's lesson that hindered my drawing process in time and accuracy was my view-finder. For starters, I forgot to make one and so quickly made one when I got to class. This resulted in an inadequate and wrong-sized view, meaning I had to fold it and make do during tasks or using my fingers instead. I will be making a new one for next lesson. 

Generally, I very much enjoyed this lesson. I love drawing faces and I needed to practice and build my confidence regarding hand drawing so it was a great balance of challenging and fun. I tried to focus on proportion in this lesson as in feedback last week, that was pinpointed as my downfall. I feel I was quite successful in proportion this lesson as I was aware of this and made sure to double check size and angles with my charcoal pencil.

Lastly, I found the new technique of using different kinds of marks to make tone very helpful and will be implementing it in future classes.

(1)
Warm up 1
20 sec - 1 min
Charcoal

(2)
Warm up 2.
Top Two: Quick Draw, 2 min 
Middle Right: Non-Dominant hand, 5 min
Middle Left: Continuous Line, 5 min
Bottom Two: Blind Draw, 2 min
Charcoal

I found these warm ups good because they got me into the practice of observing and getting a shape ready for more detail. I always enjoy the challenge of drawing with my left hand, blind or using a continuous line because it tends to come out in a new style. My favourite image is in figure (2). This is because I have captured emotion in the face, and it looks like an old style Disney character! I was pleased to have done this in two minutes.

(3)
Left: Drawing like a landscape, 10 min
Right: Drawing like a landscape,10 min
Charcoal

I found this drawing terribly difficult. My first attempt, pictured left, looks a bit ridiculous in my opinion. It's out of proportion, the nose isn't where it should be, and I think you can tell that I panicked while drawing it. I should have stood back and seen what I was doing but instead, I kept drawing.
The second drawing, pictured right, is much better with regards to feature placement and proportion but still has something wrong with it. I don't like either piece very much, I hope that next lesson, armed with a better view-finder, I can improve on close up images.

(4)
Left: Silhouette, 10 min
Right: Negative Space, 10 min
Charcoal

I really enjoyed this task and feel like I did well. The proportions on both pieces are accurate and they have a peaceful quality to them, particularly the left image. This pleases me as one criticism I received, that I wanted to improve this semester, involved creating more 'mood' or 'feeling' in my images, and I feel like I have achieved that here along with my goal of accurate proportions.

(5) 
Left: 1cm strokes, 10 min
Right: Different line patterns, 10 min
Charcoal

My first attempt, pictured left, i found it hard using 1cm strokes to create tone. The piece isn't bad and I'm pleased with the accurate proportion I have achieved but it doesn't look finished. When I then practiced different mark making with the second attempt, pictured right, I had gotten used to it and so created a more finished piece. With this attempt, the eyes are far too big and the facial features look exaggerated. Although I like this stylised look; I would have preferred accurate proportion as that is my goal. 

(6) 
Left: Focus on Proportion, 10 min
Right: Focus Different line patterns, 10 min
Charcoal

Honestly, I dread drawing hands. When I can take my time, I can enjoy the process - but 10 minutes to accurately depicted the life models hands had me in a panic. My first attempt, pictured left, the fingers are wonky and the whole image looks unfinished - I'm sure this is down to a lack of confidence as my second image, picture right, is so much better.
I really like what I have drawn here as it shows good proportion, tone, and a variety of mark making techniques. I do however, in hindsight, wish I had used more middleground tones to create more of a 3D effect.

(7)
Left: Focus on Hand Detail, 10 min
Right: All we've learned, 25 min
Charcoal

Thirdly, pictured left, is the drawing I did focused on hand detail. Proportionally I am pleased with it, but I wish I had more time to draw this image as it looks unfinished. I should have moved my viewfinder closer so that I drew a bigger hand, filling more of my page; this way I would spend a similar amount of time focusing on detail, but it would look more finished.
Lastly, pictured right, is my last image of the day. I was very pleased with this drawing. This is because I feel it encompasses everything I had learned that day about tone, proportion and mark making. I have used a good range of tone and marks and created a 3D image, incorporating the background and the hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment