Monday 13 February 2017

Semester 2. Week 2. Independent Study, Portraits

This independent study task, I found, was the most challenging yet. With a still photograph to work against, I found myself being more self-critical than I would in a life drawing class - seeing every mistake. I also found it hard to go outside of my comfort zone technique-wise, using less soft lines and more gestural marks. I found myself slipping back into my own style rather than embracing that of Elizabeth Peyton, but in doing some drawings multiple times - I feel I did get something from the exercise. 

For some of the images I chose the same photo to recreate, but for others I experimented with different images so that I could try different lighting. My favourites are figure 4 and figure 8, simply because I feel they most successfully illustrate the technique I was trying to emulate. In future I need to learn to let go of self-depreciating thoughts as I draw so that I can 'let go' more and create more quick and emotional marks with media and create a new effect.

(1)
Newspaper Image Attempt 1
Anthony Hampton
Coloured Pencil
10 Min

(2)
Newspaper Image Attempt 2
Anthony Hampton
Coloured Pencil
10 Min

(3)
Newspaper Image Attempt 3
Anthony Hampton
Coloured Pencil
10 Min

Drawing from a newspaper image was particularly difficult. All I had to hand, which is a reminder for myself to be more prepared, was a newspaper and it only had small images of people in it. When I finally found a candid image I found it hard to replicate. I tried a few colours, more harsh lines, hashing - different mark making techniques, but in the end, I found attempt 2 (figure 2) to be the most successful in creating an image with life.

(4)
Friend Attempt 1
Boyfriend
Charcoal
20 Min

(5)
Friend Attempt 2
Boyfriend
Charcoal
20 Min

(6)
Friend Attempt 3
Mother
Charcoal
20 Mins

Although I found each attempt at the 'photograph of a friend' task useful, I actually prefer attempt 1 (figure 4). This is because I chose a photo where the light was easily identifiable and I think it shows in the image. Attempt 2 was good for practising mark making techniques but there is less life in it, and I am not happy with attempt 3 - it's not awful but I'm not proud of it.

(7)
Favourite Musician Attempt 1
Dolly Parton
Pencil 2B - 6B
30 Mins

I found this image the most fun to recreate. With more time than in the previous drawings, I could relax a little bit and take more care with the piece, looking at the image and changing bits when I saw they were wrong. I used sweeping, swirling movements for her iconic hair, and more curved harsh and fine lines on her face to show shadow. I feel I could have made my marks more free in this piece, but I like it as it is.

(8)
Historical Figure
Malcolm X
Charcoal
45 Mins

Although I am pleased with the mark making on this drawing and happy with the life that comes from it, I'm so disappointed that I got the proportions wrong in some areas. The forehead is too big, the eye too small, and I had to reposition the neck towards the end of my drawing. I did however, learn from this piece because of that. I drew it sat down with my pad on my lap, and I should have had it at more of an angle so that I could see the proportions better - in future I will endeavour not to make that mistake. 


References for images copied that I did not take myself:

Figure 1, 2 and 3 -

Griffiths, D. (2017). Worcester City club chairman Anthony Hampton (left) watches on at Bromsgrove's Victoria Ground. [Photograph]. Burrow's Worcester Journal Newspaper.

Figure 7 -

Photo of Dolly Parton found on website:
Sakamoto, K. (2015) 20 beautiful portrait photos of Dolly Parton in the 1970s. Available at: http://www.vintag.es/2015/03/20-beautiful-portraits-of-dolly-parton.html (Accessed: 12 February 2017).
Figure 8 -

Photo of Malcolm X found on website:

Photographs (2015) Available at: http://malcolmx.com/photographs/ (Accessed: 13 February 2017).

No comments:

Post a Comment