Saturday 25 February 2017

Semester 2. Week 4. Independent Study. Experimental Picture Making

After the lesson, I had an idea in my mind of what I wanted to create. I was really pleased with my accidental birch tree background in my last piece so I wanted to recreate that as a backdrop.

I began by attempting that, using black acrylic on white A1 paper with a small roller. On my first attempt it didn't go perfectly, but by the third try; I had a good backdrop and some textured paper to use for collage.

I usually time each drawing I make but in this case, I was working on both pieces and their counterparts as the other was drying. The entire process took roughly 3 and a half hours to complete.

I am really happy with the results although I should have created more tone in figure 5. However, I do like this piece as it contrasts with figure 6. I am really happy with figure 6; I think the piece has a magical/ fairy tale mood and conveys a narrative, fitting well with the brief. I wanted to play with scale in one piece, and spend a lot of time creating a magical mood with the other and I feel I achieved that.

(1) 
Experimenting
Black Acrylic on White Paper

Here, I wished I had a variety of rollers to create the effect of variation in size with the trees, however, I used what I had and I still think it turned out well.

(2) 
Experimenting
Black Acrylic on White Paper 

Here, you can see two of my textured pieces. The left was what I used in figure 6. I used black acrylic, then white using the roller. The left was a horizontal and vertical straight movement, used as the backdrop in figure 5. I am happy with how both came out.


 (3) 
Experimenting with white on black &
White Acrylic on Black Paper
&
Drawing life model, reference from previous drawings.
Charcoal on White Paper

I did not like the effect of white acrylic on black paper. It did not have the same impact and so I used the black paper as part of the hedgehog in figure 6. The figures are drawn with reference to the previous week's drawings of the life model. I edited the poses slightly to suit my pieces.


(4) 
Positioning life model to see where I wanted her, which one I wanted to use.




 (5)
Final Piece 1
Acrylic Paint, Charcoal, Chalk

(6)
Final Piece 2
Acrylic Paint, Charcoal, Chalk

No comments:

Post a Comment