Monday 20 February 2017

Semester 2. Week 3. Independent Drawing Task, Spooky.

I decided that for this task, I would take a mundane setting, and using the medium of charcoal create a spooky mood. I chose the street I live on, and inside my house. I feel like the pieces are successful and that the way I drew each one gave the desired effect. 

I am really starting to enjoy using chalk with charcoal as I've found with some of the charcoal I use, it is difficult to create white marks on top with an eraser alone.


(1)
Charcoal, Chalk & Tissue
15 min

This first drawing is of the kitchen door in my house. The hallway is dark and the light is seeping through the door. I think it creates a narrative of, "what's behind the door?" and has a good light/ dark contrast. 

(2)
Charcoal, Chalk & Tissue
20 min

This was the street outside my house. I love the street lights and how they light up the areas surrounding them. I do think, however, that I have skewed the pavements somewhat. I have made it curvy, which it is not.

(3)
Charcoal, Chalk & Tissue
20 min

This is my favourite piece as I feel it fits the brief most. It is a drawing of my front door. It has an ominous feel to it, much like figure 1, in the sense that it makes the viewer think, "what's behind the door?" Also, it was unintentional, but the door fades to black as it reaches the floor, adding to the spooky vibe.

(4)
Charcoal, Chalk & Tissue
15 min

Lastly, I have another image of the street. I think I showed the light very well here but maybe not proportion. I find cars difficult to draw in general, let alone from the angle I chose. It also doesn't look as spooky as the other pieces, so is my least favourite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment