Thursday 23 February 2017

Semester 2. Week 4. Life Model, Animals, Birds...

I thought last week was a great lesson, but this week was even better. I like to draw animals in my own time so this task was fun for me. I also enjoyed the Worcester Museum and Art Gallery study we did last semester, so was interested in drawing artefacts from their collection yet again. 

Much like the previous lesson, we got to play with composition a little more again, giving more me more freedom to create an interesting composition. Experimenting with scale and position was great in the sense that it created a narrative within the images, particularly with figures (7) and (8). 

I learned a lot in this session, about composition and about, when doing a slow drawing, to concentrate on the line and not always use a scribbly style. I definitely need reminding to do this as I have to admit, I hide behind this style when I find a drawing hard. Though when I did slow down, seen in figure (6), I created a really nice piece. This boosted my confidence and will think back to this in future when I feel overwhelmed by a scene I am drawing.

A difference in my practice this week was that instead of using an easle, I sat with a board on my lap. In some ways, this was an advantage in that I could sit close to the life model and taxedermy. However, it had a negative impact in the way that some of the tableaux in front of me was obstructed from view sometimes, such as the life model's feet. It also made it difficult to draw anywhere but the middle of the page, due to not being able to distribute the weight of the board unevenly on my legs, or be able to draw portrait without completely obscuring mine and everyone behind's view. I'm glad I tried it, but next time I will use an easle. 

(1)
Charcoal on Paper
Left: 5 Min
Right: 2 Min

These are very scribbly images just getting the shape of the animals. I am pleased with them and they were a good warm up.

(2)
Charcoal on Paper
10 Min
I am pleased with the owl in this piece, I think it shows character. The life model, however, looks a bit odd. I think I made have misinterpreted the tone as the shading on her face doesn't look right or create a 3D effect.

(3)
Charcoal on Paper
5 Min

This piece is ok, this was an exercise in shape and I believe I achieved the general shapes in the tableaux, although the life model's legs look not quite right.

(4)
Charcoal on Paper
5 Min

This piece was ok tone wise, but the face is odd and her legs could have been drawn better. I don't hate this piece, but I definitely need to work on my proportion in quick drawing.

(6)
Black Byro Pen on Paper
15 Min

This piece was pivotal to my learning. I started the image on the right, using a scribbly style, but then as I was drawing my tutor gave me feedback to slow down and concentrate on making precise lines. I dreaded this, as I thought I would create a bad drawing by slowing down. As I mentioned in my introduction, scribble-style is a comfort zone and so I was reluctant to leave it.

However, the minute I did the piece started looking better. I have never drawn like this and will definitely be using the technique again, it looks 3D and has it's own style - even if the animals look funny, it's in a stylised fashion, and i've very pleased with my depiction of the life model.

(7)
Textured/ Prepared Paper Collage, Black and Brown Fine Liner & Chalk on Paper
37 Min

I found using collage and textured paper, and embracing the chaos of cutting and sticking on the fly, immensely fun. I had to think on my feet as collage is usually something you sit and think over, move pieces around and take pictures with, but here we had to speed up. I ripped some bits, cut some, and found enjoyment in the different style that came through. I also enjoyed playing with scale and composition here, making the animals large and close to the life model, out of their glass cages.

(8)
Charcoal, Black Fine Liner & Chalk on Textured/ Prepared Paper
13 Min

Aside from my continuous line drawing (Figure 6), this piece is my favourite. I chose this textured background over the others I had prepared because it reminded me of birch trees - which are incidentally my favourite kind, I love to draw them. Because I chose to use an A3 piece of it, I had less space for detail; I concentrated on the life model and one animal. I think it turned into a really illustrative and storybook-like piece. This defintitely creates a narrative in ones mind; why is this bird caged in the forest? Who is that woman? And as a joint honours student with Creative Writing, I loved that element.

No comments:

Post a Comment