Tuesday 11 October 2016

Week 3 Life Drawing session 2 : Proportion

11.10.16

Yesterday our life drawing class was focused on proportion and planning. This was the most challenging class yet. I had to really focus in order to measure correctly and use negative space to create a more accurate depiction of the model. I really enjoyed the exercise because I felt like I learned a lot from it, even if it was frustrating when I found it hard.

I found it difficult not to go in to drawing and to just try and plan. A habit I seemed to have was focusing on one area e.g the leg on (2) and rubbing it out then redrawing it and doing the same thing that made it wrong to begin with! This is a habit I will try to avoid in future by lessening the harshness of the lines i draw in the plan so that it is easier to change mistakes.

I also need to improve on making sure the angles I'm drawing at are correct, e.g you can see on (4a) and (4b) the angle of the leg makes the model look unbalanced. I had to redo the legs lots of times and upon receiving feedback could see where the issue was: angles.

On the last drawing, (5), I had took a photo of my initial sketch (5a) and then when I had made improvements (5b). You can see that I have made the hairline lower, changed the angle of the shoulders, and overall improved the image. This was also after feedback.

My favourite is (3) because its the one where I think I've done the most accurate proportions and planned well. I also just like it as a drawing, it seems more finished than the others, although I know that is not the point of the exercise.

Throughout these tasks I used a 2B pencil, a rubber and a sharpener
(When images have a or b by the number it shows the stages of the drawing)
(1) 30 mins.
(2) 30 mins.
(3) 30 mins.
(4a) 
(4b) 30 mins.
(5a) 
(5b) 50 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment