Monday 17 October 2016

Week 4 Life Drawing Session 3: Foreshortening

17.10.2016

Today our lesson was focused again on planning, but mainly on foreshortening. I found it very difficult to achieve and accurate image and found it hard to see where I was going wrong at points. Upon feedback, I can see that I need to really check my angles in future, as that was one of my main downfalls. I've also found it useful to look at the images I've created on this blog after I've drawn them, as I can see more clearly than when standing in front of the image. For instance, I was disappointed with most of the drawings in class, as I was finding it hard, but looking now I actually did quite well and I'm proud of what I've produced. Despite difficulty, I did really enjoy the whole process of fine tuning my work as I know I'm getting better with every session.

For (1) I was just getting into using the method of measuring with my pencil how many heads the model measured. I checked regularly and made adjustments when needed. At first I made the shoulders lower than they were and the torso longer, so I ended up moving the entire image upward. From the angle I was drawing the model's foot was closest to me, foreshortening here was difficult and as you can see, I redrew the legs many times and they still did not end up perfect.

(2) is one of the pieces I am most proud of. I was nervous at first when the model got into position because I measured her to be just over two heads high, meaning there was a lot of foreshortening. Through constant checking I think I created a quite successful image.

(3) was interesting. I used the foot as a measurement to go by as I did not have a full view of the models head. It went really well from the feet to the hips, then I got the angle wrong on the torso. I kept looking at the model and at my page not knowing how I'd gone wrong. Then when I received feedback I could see that I had made her torso horizontal rather than slanted. I rubbed out the torso and the head and moved it upwards/ adjusted the angle. This changed the image dramatically and I'm really pleased with how it came out. I think it is the best example of foreshortening out of the drawings I did in this session.

The most difficult drawing was the last, the model was laying down ahead of me and as you can see, I restarted my drawing completely after thirteen minutes (4A) - (4B). I kept getting confused about the legs and redoing them, then trying to compensate by redoing the torso, and muddling myself up. I honestly wasn't very pleased with the result, but I feel like I learned a lot from the session and so over time I know I will improve.

Throughout the tasks I used a 2B/3B pencil, assorted rubbers and a sharpener.

(1) 45 min. 

(2) 45 min.

(3) 45 min.

(4A) 30 min.

(4B)

No comments:

Post a Comment