Tuesday 4 October 2016

Week 2 Homework: Negative Space

07.10.16

I found using the technique of focusing on negative quite difficult at first. My instinct was to draw rough outlines and then go from there, but I stuck to the brief and I'm really pleased with the results. I also enjoyed the exercise as I haven't practiced with light and shadow as much, as it's out of my comfort zone, and feel more confident in that now.

I found that my proportions were better than usual. I've also always had trouble with light and dark and making an image have depth, but because by the time I was into the flow of the drawing I was looking mostly at what was in front of me rather than my paper, they were much more accurate.

The only thing I would like to do in future is maybe sit down and spend more time on the drawings. I put a timer on myself so that I drew for at least 20 minutes, but in fact I went over that by double almost every time. I maybe need to look at what is in front of me and plan how I'm going to tackle it before I get straight into it, and that hopefully will make me more efficient. I also am not very pleased with (D) and that is because I did it in the evening and there was less light, so in future I will make sure I am in a well lit area before beginning a drawing.

I've labelled the drawings in stages so that you can see my initial use of negative space. I think (C) is the most successful piece, purely because it was where I got to really utilize the technique, and create a lot of texture. I think the reflection of the iron comes across well.

Materials used: A rubber, an electric rubber, a sharpener, some kitchen roll, a 2B pencil and a 4B pencil.
(A) stage 1. 
(A) stage 2.
(A) stage 3. 
38 mins total.
(B) stage 1. 
(B) stage 2. 
43 mins total.
(C) stage 1. 
(C) stage 3. 
39 mins total.
(D) stage 1. 
(D) stage 2.
36 mins total.

No comments:

Post a Comment