Friday 14 October 2016

Week 3 Homework: The Still Life 'Self Portrait'

Task One
19 mins. Byro.

I chose to do a continuous line drawing with byro because it flows easily. I found that by picking such a tall view point, and being sat below,  I skewed my perspective and so I got things wrong. For instance, I have tried to correct that the top of the image as it  needs to be the roof of my windowsill, not the curtains. I can also see that the proportion generally is a little off, though I think the piece has character. I especially like the photo line and am proud of that part.


Task Two 
1 hour. 1 min. 6B, 4B, 3B, 2B pencil, assorted rubbers.

I enjoyed this one but found it difficult. I decided to zoom in from the previous drawing to get a better quality image and I think I achieved that. The plush sheep and the flowers took a long time to draw. I'm happy with the fur effect on the sheep and the wood effect on the ukulele. Taking time and really looking at the image has payed off and in my opinion, it is definitely the most successful of the three.




Task Three.
36 min. Coloured pencils, 2B pencil.

I really enjoyed this last task. I haven't worked with colour pencil in a while and it was interesting to go straight into tonal work rather than outlining. I had to concentrate a lot on what was in front of me to keep the image fairly accurate. I also changed up some of the colours as a lot of my scene was grey. It gives the drawing a different energy. I think I could improve this by focusing more on negative space, as you can see the flower pot is further away from the rest of the image, it should not be.





No comments:

Post a Comment