Tuesday 4 October 2016

Week 2 Class Work: Life Drawing

04.10.16

Yesterday, I did life drawing for the first time. I was excited to try it as I know people who have, and they say it improves your drawing skills. I found it hard to recreate what was in front of me, but found I learnt a lot from it and had fun doing it. I also found that by looking at the work of my peers, I could see techniques they used that were interesting and that I could implement into my own work in future. e.g. Using something like coloured pastel instead of mediums that produce only a grey scale.

I found it challenging to get everything in proportion. I also found it difficult to accurately depict depth. You can see in (1) and (2, Left) that I have made both legs a similar size, but different lengths. However, I do not dislike these pieces and still think they have character.

(5) is interesting. I had to move quickly as I had to change mediums throughout the piece. This meant that I didn't have time to think about style and so I created something a bit different to the other pieces.

My favourite pieces are the final two (6) and (7). (6) was done with my non-dominant hand and it has such character to it. The face looks stern but dreamy, and the feet look spindly and I like that. It looks like a purposeful effect. I enjoyed using my thick black and grey markers to create depth in (6) and so decided to use them in my final drawing: (7).

At first, I made the head on (7) tiny and the leg positioned wrong. I had to go over these errors and hide them best I could. I found it especially hard to draw the model in a lying down position but I really like the result. It looks peaceful.
(1) 30 min. Charcoal.
(2)
Left: 10 min. Pencil.
Top right: 20 min. Pencil.
Bottom Right: 5 min. Pencil.
(3) 
10 min. Blind (no looking at paper). Byro.
(4) 
15 min. Semi-blind contour drawing. Continuous Contact. Charcoal.
(5) 
10 min. Mixed media contour drawing.
Thick marker pen (grey/black), 6B pencil, 0.7 Fine Liner, Blue/ black byro, Charcoal.
(6)
20 min. Non dominant hand. Thick marker pen (grey/black), C + 0.7 Fine Liner.
(7)
30 min. Thick marker pen (grey/black),5B pencil, 0.7 Fine Liner, Byro.

No comments:

Post a Comment