Monday 24 October 2016

Week 5: Life Drawing Session 4; Subtractive Tone

24.10.2016

For this session we focused on using subtractive tone and creating realistic light and shadow. I found it difficult to implement these techniques while making sure previous lessons were used. For instance, getting proportions and foreshortening correct while using this new technique was a struggle for me, but not an impossible one!

I found the entire lesson beneficial. Light and shadow is something I struggle with in my drawings generally and it is such an important part of any piece. It taught me to really focus on what was in front of me and I am pleased with the pieces I've created. E.g. In (2) i felt like I really understood where the light was coming from and that it translated to my drawing.

(3) is my favourite. This is because it is the drawing with most proportional accuracy, and because I managed to get some facial features in that gives the piece character. I was also experimenting with using a softer technique as I had seen a peer do this and admire their finished drawing. This worked well as by taking my time and being softer, not only could i correct mistakes easier, but it gives the piece an overall more realistic look.

I don't dislike the other drawings but they all have flaws regarding angles and proportion. Like I mentioned, I found that difficult using this technique. This was especially apparent in (4) where I have tried to rush it as we had less time. There is just something off about this piece. I've made the model look unbalanced and wobbly, but it's all part of learning. 


Overall I took a lot from the lesson and enjoyed using charcoal and experimenting with new techniques.


(1) 
40 min. Charcoal & Rubber.

(2) 
40 min. Charcoal & Rubber.

(3)
40 min. Charcoal & Rubber.

(4)
20 min. Charcoal & Rubber.

No comments:

Post a Comment